Thursday, December 6, 2012

Would you buy a story in which the heroine had herpes


I friend of mine read a article by the CDC(Center for Disease Control and Prevention)  which stated..." about 1 in 6 Americans between the ages of 14 to 46  is infected with herpes simplex virus type 2...The most affected group was black women, with a prevalence rate of 48 percent. "

http://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/hsv2pressrelease.html


This was nothing new to me. I know many people, both men and women, black and white,  who have herpes. However, the numbers started me to thinking, from a writing perspective, about WHO these women were. what were they reading? Are their stories represented in romantic fiction?

As my mind wanders down this rabbit hole, I decided to ask my own readers to weigh in. Personally, I have been toying around with a story which features a heroine who has and STD, in particular herpes. I have been writing this story off and on since about 2010, because I do have peers with the disease and I had not seen it in any of the stories I had read. Fast forward two years and I still have not seen this story line. When I get passionate about something, I usually go all in, so I asked my publisher if they thought it would be worth exploring and they said, "Gynger, your gut and your readers are the only ones who can tell you that."  Since my gut is leaning towards completing this story, they suggested I blog about it to get my answer.

Here, I am hoping YOU the reader, can help me with this question. I AM NOT asking you disclose ANY of your personal information on my blog or anywhere else. I just want some feedback on the following questions:

Do you think it's time for a IR(Interrracial) romance to include a heroine who has herpes
Would you buy an IR book which featured a heroine who has herpes
See that's it, straight to the point. You can leave your feedback Anonymously if that is your choice.


I thank you in advance for your time.

~Gynger Fyer- The Romance Arsonist